Last week we covered off the habit or approach of being a talent developer so middle managers have more engaged and productive team members.
The third habit is to be a change agent. Middle managers are often at the forefront of driving change and innovation in organisations. Middle managers are perfectly positioned to lead change initiatives, inspire their teams to embrace change, and overcome resistance to change.
As a middle manager, you are often tasked with driving change and innovation in your organisation. This can be challenging, as change can be met with resistance and pushback. However, by becoming a change agent, you can lead your team through change initiatives and help to create a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
To be an effective change agent, middle managers must understand the drivers of change and how to inspire their teams to embrace change. They must also be able to overcome resistance to change and create a sense of urgency around change initiatives.
These tips may prove helpful for you:
- Understand the drivers of change: Take the time to understand the reasons behind the change initiative and how it will impact your team and organisation. This is linked to being a strategic partner and understanding the organisation’s strategy.
- Create a sense of urgency: Communicate the need for change and create a sense of urgency around the change initiative. This can help to overcome resistance to change and inspire your team to embrace the change.
- Involve your team: Involve your team in the change initiative and provide opportunities for feedback and input. This will help to build buy-in and create a sense of ownership around the change.
- Overcome resistance: Anticipate and address potential sources of resistance to change. This may involve providing additional support or training, or communicating the benefits of the change initiative.
- Invite the team to actively participate in finding creative ways to overcome any change de-railers or resistance.
By becoming an effective change agent, middle managers can help to drive innovation and continuous improvement in their organisations.
How do you be a change agent in your organisation? Let me know…